Episode: Your menopause questions answered (Part 2) with Endocrinologist Susan Davis, AO
Podcast: The Proof, Episode #256
Host: Simon Hill
What It’s About:
On this episode of The Proof, endocrinologist and clinical researcher Professor Susan Davis, AO returns to answer listeners’ menopause questions. Clocking in at just under 2 hours, this is another lengthy episode that is worth your time. Covering common questions, mental health and menopause, what we know about cognitive function and menopause, how other conditions such as PSOS impact menopause, common issues including weight gain, different drug treatment options and much more.
After listening to Part 2 with Professor Susan Davis, AO you’ll learn so much, including:
- Why dosing and duration of use for hormone therapy should be individualized and not based on the guideline of less than 60 years of age or within 10 years of menopause.
- The impact of poor sleep and stress on brain health and that giving HRT does not objectively improve measures of cognition.
- Treatments for women with breast cancer and vasomotor symptoms.
- The type of exercise that benefits bone health.
- Why is it important not to assume every symptom is due to perimenopause or menopause.
- Professor Susan Davis’s view on Adrenal fatigue.
- Menopause and weight gain.
- A review of bioidentical hormones and compounded hormones and the fact that these are not synonymous.
- The benefits of vaginal estrogen.
- Professor Davis’s opinion on endocrine disruptors in everyday life.
Few of us have the information we need to navigate perimenopause and beyond. And many of our doctors are practicing with outdated information when it comes to perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause; if they have any information at all. Provided they live long enough, 80% of people with ovaries will experience symptoms during the menopause experience that range from bothersome to debilitating. Many will suffer needlessly. There are solutions. It’s up to each of us to learn the information we need to be able to advocate for the support and solutions we deserve.
Why you should listen to this podcast:
To paraphrase Dr. Davis, it’s important that people be as knowledgeable as they can about their health. Not only will this allow you to become a discerning consumer of health information, it will enable you to take ownership of your wellbeing. It can be hard to distinguish fact from fiction in today’s menopause landscape. Dr. Davis’ advice? “If someone is trying to sell you something, think twice. And look at the motivation of why this person is choosing to impart this information at this time. Why are they choosing to do this?”
In The Menopause Masterclass Part 1, Professor Susan Davis and Simon Hill created one of the most comprehensive podcasts on menopause. In Part 2, Professor Susan Davis returns to answer listener questions and dig deeper into the many aspects of menopause and its related phases.These two episodes are an exceptional way to build your knowledge about all things menopause.
Check out Dr. Davis’ bio here.