Episode: Menopause Masterclass (Part 1) with Endocrinologist and Professor Susan Davis
Podcast: The Proof, Episode #245
Host: Simon Hill
What It’s About:
“On this episode of The Proof, Simon Hill interviews endocrinologist and clinical researcher Professor Susan Davis, AO. In this detailed exchange – taking place over more than two hours – Professor Davis shares the best practice guidelines for managing menopause. You will learn from a world-leading expert about sex hormones, the physiological changes underpinning menopause, signs and symptoms of perimenopause, the struggles of menopause, medical and lifestyle interventions for managing menopause (including hormone therapy), testosterone and sexual desire, the beautiful side of menopause, and plenty more.”
After listening to Part 1 of this Menopause Masterclass you’ll learn so much, including:
- Anxiety is one of the more sinister symptoms of menopause that women don’t realize is due to their changing hormones.
- Evidence-based information about hormone therapy, compounded vs. pharmaceutical hormones, non-hormonal medications, and supplements.
- The difference between progesterone and progestins.
- The importance of lifestyle interventions.
- The one thing Dr. Davis would do to improve menopausal health if she could wave a magic wand.
- How changes in hormones can put you at risk for chronic health conditions.
- The facts about adrenal fatigue and estrogen dominance.
- There is no evidence for the guideline that hormone therapy should be taken within a 10-year window of menopause or under age 60.
- The jury is still out on whether hormone therapy prevents dementia and should not be prescribed for that reason.
Few of us have the information we need to navigate perimenopause and beyond. And many of our doctors are practicing with outdated information when it comes to perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause; if they have any information at all. Provided they live long enough, 80% of people with ovaries will experience symptoms during the menopause experience that range from bothersome to debilitating. Many will suffer needlessly. There are solutions. It’s up to each of us to learn the information we need to be able to advocate for the support and solutions we deserve.
Why you should listen to this podcast:
This is the most comprehensive podcast we’ve listened to on menopause. Whether you know very little about this phase of life, or you’ve done extensive research on the topic, you will benefit from this engaging exchange between Dr. Susan Davis and Simon Hill. And while this is only one perspective, it’s an important expert perspective. If you would like to be better informed about all things menopause, this Menopause Masterclass Part 1 is a must listen. Need further convincing? Check out Dr. Davis’ bio here.
Listen: Menopause Masterclass Part 1